Do I need root canal treatment?
Root canal treatment is done to eliminate bacteria from the infected root canal. The inflamed or infected pulp is removed and the inside of the tooth is carefully cleaned and disinfected, then filled and sealed.
This prevents reinfection of the tooth and thus saves the natural tooth.
There are a few symptoms that mean you might need a root canal treatment:
- Severe pain while chewing or biting
- Lingering sensitivity to hot or cold
- Chipped, cracked or badly decayed tooth
- Swollen gums or pimples on gums
- Darkening of tooth or gums