Dental plaque and calculus!
Noticing some yellow patches on your teeth? They are most probably dental calculus (aka tartar). 😬
Let us share more about dental plaque and calculus! 🦷😖
- Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that constantly forms on teeth.
- Calculus, or tartar, is plaque that has hardened on your teeth.
- It gives plaque more surface area on which to grow, allowing more calculus to form.
- Too much calculus can lead to gum disease known as gingivitis and periodontitis.
- It can also create a cosmetic problem as it absorbs stains easily.
- Once calculus has formed, it can only be removed properly with special equipment at your dentist!
Next week we will share more on the common gum disease, gingivitis, and also the more serious sequelae, periodontitis. All caused by these dental calculus!😮